Newsletter subscription

Wearable Technology Community

Questions, Opinions, Tips, Rumors, current & coming solutions

Home Wearable Technology Community Connected sports & fitness The Shine: an elegant tracker

This topic contains 37 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by RED-DOLPHIN RED-DOLPHIN 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

Here is an update about battery life with Shine (Misfit Wearables).

The good news: yes my battery did last 4 months.

The no so good news now: it stopped working 2 days with sending me any alert. 

It would be nice if the App would give info about battery level before it stops working.

RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

Misfit Wearables has released the Android app version.

The minimum requirements should be no surprise:

• Android 4.3 minimum
    • Bluetooth 4.0 LE

If you can test it and share with us your feedback we would welcome you in RED-DOLPHIN Wearables Forum !

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

New Misfit Wearables iOS App for Shine is released:

it gained 2.7MB in size, now 24.1MB … But most important it brings the long awaited social dimension.

Now Shine starts to catch-up with competition on the Social engagement, allowing you to connect with friends.

Check it out and let’s connect: our profile is red_dolphin and we are happy to join you and share our achievements.

Attachments:
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

About Shine by Misffit Wearables:

Did you know that Shine can sync off line ?

it is an interesting feature when you think about it. I had on different occasions the issue with synchronizing my Fitbit on the go, and it would not work until I have internet access (wifi or 3G). Shine let’s you sync even without a connection.

RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

Received today Black leather “bracelet” for the shine. The good news:

• with a hard “frame” to hold the shine device, you have much less risk to lose you device (indeed few of us experienced the loss of shine because the sport band was getting distorded letting the Shine fall
    • black leather gives a good impression, durability ? time will tell !
    • with leather band you experience wearing almost a watch

The “bad” news:

• not really a news as it was pre-announced by Msifit team, the leather band does not have this fancy and elegant locking mecanism like in watch (“boucle déployante” in french, what’s the name in english ?). It is a bit of a disappointment as you just end up having a old fashioned bracelet instead of something making your tracking device stand out from the crowd.
    • from a design point of view the leather band is ok, but it could look so much better if the leather part and the central part holding your Shine device would be matching 100%. It is no longer that elegant now (I think).

Suggestion ? Maybe in fact it would be interesting to have a sport band re-designed to integrate a more secured holder fot the device and keep the elegance of bracelet completely integrated with the holding part ? Any comments from other shine users ?  

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by RED-DOLPHIN RED-DOLPHIN.
    Attachments:
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

Today new iOS app version 1.5.0 was released.

First there was a firmware update for the device, the the app came via the appstore.

- App is now ready to warn us when battery needs to be replaced (well I hope, not before end of December for me)

- better detection of wake up (for sleep activity), well here I hope Shine app improves for detecting sleep overall and in particular does not switches off sleep activity mode when it thinks you have stopped sleeping

weight of this new app is 21,4MB, not sure what was the size of previous updates ?

Attachments:
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

availability update about the Leather Band for Shine by Misfit Wearables:

from Misft Support Team -

At the moment we’re finalizing the design and production with our factory, we’ve made several improvements which we hope to announce shortly”

RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

Are you using Shine for sleep tracking ? What is your experience so far ?

See attached graph I got today. I am comparing this data with measurements from Beddit device:

- sleep time 6:07 is the same on both

- deep sleep on shine is overestimated: 4:20 is a combination at least of REM and Deep sleep (as my real deep sleep was only 49 min last night)

Shine does not indicate (yet ?) how long it took for you to fall asleep, nor do you see a week view/stats on your sleep data.

Attachments:
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

at last Quiet Sync is now fixed with version 1.3.0 on iOS

each time you start the app, now quiet will actually do something and sync your recent activities.

Some other changes were also included in this release, let see if some of them are significant by using new app for a couple of days.

Attachments:
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

Just test new App version 1.2.0 for iOS

Shine by Misfit Wearables has made few changes:

- device synchronisation automated during app launch !

well not really happy with this feature yet, it worked for a Shine “firmware” update, but does not seem to work for a normal sync in automated mode ?

- in Setup menu: indicate where you wear your device

this should provide improved algorithm to measure and analyze activity (as I mentioned in some previous posts, measurement vary depending on how/where you where your Shine). So Misfit Team is listening and tuning their app.

- new Sleep graph (test to come later, not yet bed time here)

- improved distance calculation (to be investigated what has changed)

PS: Something interesting anyway about Sync of the device, you can Sync your shine with iPhone or iPad even if you do not have internet connection. This is a advantage compared to Fitbit for example where Internet is required in order to sync your device.

Attachments:
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

About activity trackers like Shine (and others) accuracy.

I noticed discrepancies between Shine and Fitbit one in my last tests. I then decided to strictly “wear” my trackers in the same location for a week.

Here are the results, before I had 30% difference between trackers (Fitbit in my pocket and Shine on my wrist).

Now only 7% difference during last week !

This seems to confirms that location where you wear a tracker (Shine in particular) impacts accuracy of tracking.

Misfit Wearables Team is in fact in the process of releasing a new version where you will be able to indicate where you are wearing your device. We are very curious to test this enhancement to see accuracy improved.

It is particularly important in the case of Shine as you can easily wear it in different locations (wrist being my preferred one).

Feel free to ask questiosn if you have in this forum about your preferred tracker or post a feedback regarding your own experience and what you want to share.

RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

How to track different activities with Shine ?

The activities you can track (via My Shine menu):

• Walking (by default)
    • Running (by default)
    • Sleeping (triple tap to start activity)
    • Cycling (triple tap to start activity)
    • Swimming (triple tap to start activity)
    • Tennis (triple tap to start activity)
    • Basket (triple tap to start activity)
    • Football (Soccer) (triple tap to start activity)

What is very important to know here is that you need to associate (Shine team call this Tagging) the triple tap action with an activity, and this can only be done in the app (iOS). Once you have selected an activity in the App you MUST sync with your shine device !

Misfit Wearables is working at the moment at improving this tagging process, maybe making the activity detection more automatic ?

RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

I’ll share here 26 days summary of tracking, to compare 2 device: Shine and Fitbit.

From 14/8 till 8/9/13

Fitbit one counted: 175002 steps

Shine counted: 131606 steps

I walked 33% more if I trust Fitbit One measurement.

Why are the measures different ?

I am always wearing Fitbit in my pocket to avoid losing it. When I was wearing Shine on my left wrist (instead of a watch).

Can this be the difference ?

I remember reading some comparisons in the past between Nike Fuel band and Fitbit and users were noticing as well some discrepancies. Therefore it could be a factor of difference.

From today 9/9/13 I will start wearing both devices in the same pocket to compare results …

Stay tuned and share your own analysis, maybe with other devices ?

RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

After 2 weeks using Shine here are my thoughts, what I really like and what should be improved:

RED-DOLPHIN likes

• wrist wearable design (best in class)
    • battery life (4 month in theory)
    • multiple sports recognized (including swimming)
    • ok to wear 24/24 and 7/7
    • led watch function (cool)
    • feedback to Misfit team in the App (with good responses from the team)
    • easy wireless synch (no pairing required)

RED-DOLPHIN suggests to improve

• adding stopwatch function
    • need more sports monitored (golf ! …)
    • social media / challenge with friends options
    • android support needed
    • data download
    • APIs for integration in TactioHealth and more
    RED-DOLPHIN
    RED-DOLPHIN
    Keymaster

latest firmware update (26/8/13) for Shine fixed the following issues:

* Improved running/jogging detection and credit towards goal, calibrated over a larger population
    * Updated clock display to round in the middle of the 5 minute segment
    * Updates to tap detection (expect more updates soon)
    * Faster, more reliable sync and efficiency improvements

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.